Cloud Support Engineer Big Data Distributed Processing Vacancy At Amazon
Cloud Support Engineer – Big Data (Distributed Processing)
Amazon Web Services is the market leader and technology forerunner in the Cloud business. As a member of the AWS Support team you will be at the forefront of this transformational technology, assisting a global list of companies and developers that are taking advantage of a growing set of services and features to run their mission-critical applications. As a Cloud Support Engineer, you will act as the ‘Cloud Ambassador’ across all the cloud products, arming our customers with required tools & tactics to get the most out of their Product and Support investment.
Would you like to use the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have an interest in helping customers understand application architectures and integration approaches? Are you familiar with best practices for applications, servers and networks? Do you want to be part of a customer facing technology team helping to ensure the success of Amazon Web Services (AWS) as a leading technology organization?
WHAT CAN YOU EXPECT FROM A LIFE AT AWS?
Every day will bring new and exciting challenges on the job while you:
· Learn and use groundbreaking technologies.
· Apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide unique solutions to our customers’ individual needs.
· Interact with leading engineers around the world.
· Partner with Amazon Web Services teams to help reproduce and resolve customer issues.
· Leverage your extensive customer support experience to provide feedback to internal AWS teams on how to improve our services.
· Drive customer communication during critical events.
· Drive projects that improve support-related processes and our customers’ technical support experience.
· Write tutorials, how-to videos, and other technical articles for the developer community.
· Work on critical, highly complex customer problems that may span multiple AWS services.
WHY AWS SUPPORT?
· First and foremost, this is a customer support role – in The Cloud.
· On a typical day, a Support Engineer will be primarily responsible for solving customer’s cases through a variety of customer contact channels which include telephone, email, and web/live chat. You will apply advanced troubleshooting techniques to provide tailored solutions for our customers and drive customer interactions by thoughtfully working with customers to dive deep into the root cause of an issue.
· Apart from working on a broad spectrum of technical issues, an AWS Support Engineer may also coach/mentor new hires, develop & present training, partner with development teams on complex issues or contact deflection initiatives, participate in new hiring, write tools/script to help the team, or work with leadership on process improvement and strategic initiatives.
· Career development: We promote advancement opportunities across the organization to help you meet your career goals.
· Training: We have training programs to help you develop the skills required to be successful in your role.
· We hire smart people who are keen to build a career with AWS, so we are more interested in the areas that you do know instead of those you haven’t been exposed to yet.
· Support engineers interested in travel have presented training or participated in focused summits across our sites or at specific AWS events.
· As we operate on a follow-the-sun model, with Premium Support sites located globally, there is no after hours on-call or mandated overtime in this role.
· Good depth of understanding in Hadoop Administration, support and troubleshooting (Any two applications: Apache Spark, Apache Hive, Presto, Map-Reduce, Zookeeper, HBASE, HDFS and Pig.)
· Good understanding of Linux and Networking concepts
· Intermediate programming/scripting skills. Ideally in Java or Python, but will consider experience in other Object Oriented and Functional languages.
· Excellent oral and written communication skills with multi-tasking ability. Should be a self-starter who is excited about learning new technology.
· Open to working non-standard hours (no night shifts) including a Sun-Mon or Fri-Sat weekend
· Strong troubleshooting skills
· Bachelor’s degree in Information Science / Information Technology, Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or a related field
· Proficient in Hadoop Map-Reduce and its Eco System [ Hive, HBASE, Spark, Presto etc.].
· Python and shell scripting
· Good understanding of distributed computing environments
· Customer service experience / strong customer focus
· Experience building docker images and troubleshooting container related issues
· Prior working experience with AWS – any or all of EC2, S3, EBS, EMR
· Experienced with Linux system monitoring and analysis (disk management, memory management, permissions etc.)
· Good understanding of Networking concepts and protocols (DNS, TCP/IP, DHCP, HTTPS, etc.)
Amazon is an equal opportunities employer, and we value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief. Amazon is strongly committed to diversity and Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. Amazon requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.