General Manager Brand MTN Vacancy
General Manager Brand
The General Manager, MTN Brand contributes to brand strategy development and manages the execution and implementation of MTN Group brand strategies across operating companies.
The role is responsible for implementing the MTN brand strategy by working with OPCO’s to ensure consistent brand image and identity implementation, consultancy on annual and quarterly plans to ensure delivery of marketing plans in line with MTN business strategy and brand priorities, driving brand and cycle planning processes, developing and deploying frameworks to guide alignment to key messaging communication strategies, leading campaign effectiveness approaches and pro-customer market positioning to deliver ROO and ROI.
The General Manager, Brand reports to Executive: Group Marketing and is supported by Senior Managers. The positions will interface with the Opco CMO’s, Brand Leads, Group Management Services stakeholders and Consumer, Business, Fintech and Digital Services divisional heads
The General Manager must therefore ensure the successful delivery in context of:
- Rapidly changing ICT environment (technology, economic, regulatory, legal, customer expectations)
- Multi-national, multi-cultural, multi-geography footprint (MENA, WECA, SEAGHA regions)
- Decentralised operating model
- Large diverse customer base (> 200m subscribers)
- Ambition 2025 (leading digital platforms for Africa’s progress)
- Contribute to the formulation and execution of the MTN Group brand strategy in line with MTN Group strategy and MTN brand priorities
- Drive effective implementation of the strategy across operating companies by providing direction, structure, frameworks, models and guidelines to be adopted by the Opco Chief Marketing Officers
- Define minimum standards for implementation and delivery
- Recommend targets and KPIs across operating companies for performance across various marketing activities
- Drive positive advantage of MTN to competitor iro brand health measures and pro-customer market positioning.
- Drive internal marketing alignment with internal stakeholders (HR, procurement, BRM, Corporate Affairs, etc)
Staff Leadership and Management
- Build and manage a high performing team by providing leadership and role clarity,
- Manage talent in accordance with legislative guidelines;
- Ensure open communication channels with staff and implement change management interventions where necessary;
- Provide definition of roles, responsibilities, individual goals and performance objectives for the team;
- Set KPIs and provide regular performance feedback through a well-defined and implemented performance review program;
- Develop and implement a training plan in order to build and develop skills within the team;
- Encourage knowledge transfer through the implementation of a knowledge transfer plan
- Performance manage resources in accordance with HR policy and legislation where necessary;
- Actively participate in leadership team and develop skills of own team; and
- Promote a ‘MTN centric’ and ‘partnership approach’ to develop strong relationships with other working groups and ensure adherence to Group governance.Governance
- Hold strategic meetings, ensure relevant participation and provide guidance and support in the various discussions;
- Drive enterprise wide transformation initiatives, elicit inputs from relevant parties;
- Drive adequate risk mitigation and controls, and elicit inputs from relevant parties;
- Prepare proposal on change initiatives, SLA policies and procedures
- Manage and resolve issues that will result in severe time, scope, productivity and cost or resource impact; and
- Resolve and provide guidance to issues escalated.
- Manage all projects and initiatives;
- Review key risks, issues and dependencies and set mitigation actions; and
- Sign-off / make decisions regarding tactical changes.
- Monitor performance and alignment with MTN brand strategy and per industry best practices;
- Review performance against agreed Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and review service level agreements;
- Identify opportunities for improvement and collaborate with respective OPCOs and teams to agree on corrective actions;
- Report on a weekly and monthly basis to Executive
- Highlight to the management significant deviations from defined performance metrics; and
- Report on an adhoc basis on specific projects, as required.
- Develop and manage of divisional budgets in line with business objectives;
- Develop and manage project initiative budgets in line with business objectives
- Ensure that ‘non-working’ costs are optimised in line with saving to invest approach.
- Minimum of 4 year tertiary Business/Commercial/Marketing Degree
- MBA or Masters in relevant field of study
- Chartered Marketer an advantage
- 12-15 years of strong work experience in strategic brand management
- Management/Commercial/ Chief Marketing Officer role
- Experience working in a global/multinational enterprise /FMCG
- Understanding of emerging markets
- Senior management track record of at least 7 years
- Experience in multinational brand leading practices and trends
- Telecommunications Brand Marketing/Industry experience is an advantage.
- Pan Africa and or Middle East multi-cultural experienceCompetencies:
- Attitude of self-propelled and thought leadership
- Global mindset to service worldwide operations
- Mature management skills gaining credibility with People and Stakeholder:
- Ability to get along with, listen to, speak to, and manage people’s expectations.
- Strong communication skills at all levels and the ability to easily collaborate with teams, internal / external stakeholders.
- Problem Solving skills: Analytical and critical thinking are essential in evaluating problems and reaching solutions. This skill requires at times logical methodical approach and in other situations creativity and lateral thinking. Persuasion and negotiation will be also important.
- Analytical and Content skills: Knowing how to structure and communicate (written and verbal) complex issues, analyse data and distil insights and learnings, organizing complicated insights from multiple data sources.
- Execution and Implementation Skills: Disciplined execution approach, Reliability, results-oriented, proven track record of delivery and can-do attitude.
- Challenger mind-set: Ability to engage with senior business stakeholders and challenge the status quo utilizing data analytics and problem-solving capabilities
- Holistic View and Attention to Detail: Balancing the big picture view and attention to detail is a crucial skill to build trust with stakeholders at all levels.
- Developing strategies and producing error-free deliverables, shows that the GTI office is thorough and recommendations are solid.
- Global mindset to service worldwide operations
- Pan Africa and or Middle East multi-cultural experience
- Telecommunications industry experience
- Willing and flexible to travel within Africa and Middle East
- Fluent in English
- French, Arabic an advantage