NAMFI Engineering Department
Namibian Maritime and Fisheries Institute (Namfi) Engineering Department
Marine Engineer Officer Training
Marine Engineers are responsible for the running of engines, maintenance of auxiliary machinery and electrical equipment onboard. Their training program consists of a number of parts over a number of years.
- Stage 1 Pre- sea marine engineering, engineering practice and safety training ( Ratings)
- Stage 2 Guided at sea study program ( Trainee record books) (sea time)
- Stage 3 Watch keeper education and training( both local and international) Class 6, 5 and 4/3
- Stage 4 Second and Chief Engineer education and training ( international) Class 2/1
The following subjects are covered at different levels:
- Maritime English
- Basic Engineering Science
- Maritime Law
- Manual Training
- Operation and Maintenance
- Engineering Drawings
- Mechanical Science
- Industrial Chemistry
Engineering Workshop training is also required for training in the following types of work:
- Hand and power tools
- Machine tools
- Fabrication, welding, joining and cutting
Upon satisfactory completion of training and assessment at different stages and subject to meeting all the requirements of the DMA, students may be able to obtain academic certificates from NAMFI which leads to different certificates of competence as appropriate from the authority. The courses are offered by NAMFI following the agreed minimum standards of the International Maritime Organization’s (IMO) Conventions on Standards of Training, Certification and Watch keeping for seafarers of 1978, as amended (STCW ’78/’95) and Standards of Training, Certification and Watch keeping for Fishing Vessel Personnel of 1995 (STCW-F ’95).
Upon completion of a class course and receiving certificates of competence from the authority students may become engineers on different types of ships with different ranks as issued by the authority. These range from 3rd engineers to chief engineers on small vessels to chief engineers unlimited.
Candidates who wish to follow a maritime course must compoly with the following requirements:
- Grade 12 certificate with a pass mark in English, Mathematics and Physical Science
- Undergo a medical and an eye sight test.