NSFAS Application for 2022
NSFAS bursary provides assistance to students wanting to further their education by covering the costs of studies for certain qualifications at any public university or college in South Africa. This helps to reduce the burden of student debt for deserving students. Eligible Students must complete the NSFAS online application using the online application form portal in order to receive funds to assist with their tuition fee and cost of study. Read more about the application process and application dates in this article.
The following bursary programs are offered by the NSFAS Application 2022:
1. Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET) which is responsible for the assessment practices and systems for vocational and continuing education and training. The TVET bursary covers the full cost of college fees as indicated in the program costs of the current academic year as well as travel and accommodation expenses.
2. The Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme is a program to support teaching studies and is available to qualified university students to complete a teaching degree. Bursary recipients are then required to teach at public schools equivalent to the duration of the bursary received. Please note that bursary holders cannot choose the school in which they would like to be placed. The bursary given will cover most of the recipient’s necessary expenses for the costs of study. That may include the cost of tuition fees, registration fees, accommodation including meals, book allowance and learning materials, and if possible a small allowance for monthly living expenses.
Two types of qualifications that can be funded are:
- Undergraduate studies or a 4-year Bachelor of Education degree (B Ed), specializing in Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3), Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6), Senior Phase (Grade 7 – 9), and FET Phase (Grade 10-12).
- Graduate studies or One-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE). Combined postgraduate qualifications are also acceptable such as combined specialization in the Foundation Phase (Grade R – 3) and Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 – 6), or the Intermediate Phase and Senior Phase, or the Senior Phase (Grade 7 – 9) and FET Phase (Grade 10 –12).
3. Social Work Bursaries are provided by the Department of Social Development and is aimed to provide financial assistance to qualified students who wish to pursue studies in Bachelor of Social Work degree. Priorities are given to youth between the ages of 18 – 35 years in line with the government’s goals of youth’s active participation in socio-economic activities. Social Worker bursary cover pays for cost for registration, tuition fee, book allowance, accommodation allowance, meals, and stipends for practical work experience as determined by the university.
4. Disability Bursary Programme provides financial support to applicants with disabilities who need financial assistance and possess good academic performance. Students eligible for this bursary must provide proof of disability and a quotation for assistive devices as required documents with the application form. An assistive device will be provided through the applicant’s arrangement to the student disability unit at the university or TVET college where the applicant is going to study. This is to improve the quality of life of the applicant with the disability and reduce the costs of dependency and care as well as to enhance the prospect of employment and participation within the economy that is facilitated by a higher education qualification.
NSFAS bursary holders are required to work in South Africa for a specified period after graduation. Should the bursary holders are unable to find employment in South Africa within a 3 month period after their completion of studies, the applicant must apply in writing to NSFAS for a fair exit clause/buy-out clause to be considered.
To get updates on NSFAS activity, visit their official website.
NSFAS Bursary Requirements and Financial Eligibility
- South African citizen (foreign students do not apply)
- Applicants who wish to pursue an undergraduate degree at a public university or TVET college with the necessary academic requirements
- Previous applicants who already have an application reference number should not apply
- NOT a grant recipient of any NSFAS funding for the current academic year (only unfunded students)
For postgraduate studies, only students of one of the following below fields of study are accepted:
- B Tech – Architecture / Architectural Technology
- B Tech – Biokinetics, Biomedical Technology/Biotechnology
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education
- Postgraduate Diploma in Accounting
- Bachelor of Laws/LLB