UNAM Animal Science Department
The Department of Animal Science is one of 8 departments in the Faculty of Agriculture and Natural Resource at the University of Namibia. The mission of the Department of Animal Science is to provide outstanding leadership in Animal Production and Rangeland Management in Namibia in effort to make effective contribution to the Faculty’s mission of promoting sustainable agriculture, natural resources development and management in Namibia through teaching, research and outreach services to the livestock industry, with special emphasis on communal and commercial farming communities.
Our vision is to provide outstanding leadership in Animal Production and Rangeland Management in Namibia and the Southern African Sub-region with specific aims of:
- Promoting effective learning, research, and participate in the provision of extension and advisory services to farming communities in a manner that enhances sustainable livestock production and development in Namibia.
- Producing functional Animal Science graduates equipped with the necessary knowledge, skills and attitude to render service in the livestock sector.
- Carrying out basic and applied research with the aim of improving animal production and to actively publish research findings in refereed journals.
- Extending knowledge and skills to the farming communities for purposes of improving animal production.
- Rendering consultancy services to both public and private sectors in matters relating to Animal Production and Rangeland Management in Namibia